Sutton Free Library
MEETING ROOM POLICY
When not being used for Library purposes, the Grace Nelson Community Room may be reserved for educational, intellectual, civic, or cultural activities and events.
Anyone intending to book the library’s meeting room must fill out a meeting room application and agree to comply with the following policy. To request a time, contact the Library to check availability.
There is no charge to use the meeting room.
1. Local Sutton organizations, groups, or individuals may use the meeting room. Non-local organizations, groups, or individuals may use the room if sponsored by a Sutton resident over the age of 18.
2. All events must be free and open to the public.
3. The Library recognizes the rights of free speech and free assembly. We subscribe to Article IV of the Library Bill of Rights: facilities should be made available to the community on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of users. Civic, community, town, educational, philanthropic, and other nonprofit organizations may use the meeting room, provided that those organizations do not use the Library for the private financial gain of any organization or person.
4. To use the room, a booking must be made with the library staff to avoid scheduling conflicts. The room reservation includes the meeting room, kitchenette, and the public restroom. It does not include the other parts of the Library. The meeting room may be reserved no more than 30 days in advance. To ensure equitable access, the Library reserves the right to limit the frequency of any group’s use.
5. All persons and organizations using the meeting room must possess any and all licenses, rights, or other
permission required by law to prevent infringement and/or the unauthorized use of any trademarks, copyrights, and/or other intellectual property rights.
6. The organization must clarify its sponsorship of the event in all advertising and meeting announcements and is prohibited from making statements that suggest library sponsorship or endorsement. Inquiries from the public concerning specific programs will be referred to the sponsoring organization.
7. Presenters of Library- sponsored programs who are pre-approved by the Library Director may sell books or material related to their presentations.
8. Participants in Library- sponsored programs may be charged fees to help offset supply costs.
9. Library sponsored programs and activities will receive priority when scheduling the meeting room.
10. If the meeting includes children under the age of 18, they must be supervised by an adult (one adult for every 10 minors).
11. Persons using library facilities must comply with all Sutton Free Library rules of conduct as well as local, state, and federal laws. No smoking or alcoholic beverages are allowed in the meeting room, or elsewhere in the library.
12. Meeting room occupancy shall be limited to 25 people, the room’s capacity as determined by the Sutton Fire Chief.
13. Any group or individual using the meeting room shall be responsible for restoring the room to its original condition before leaving. Groups must remove their trash from the premises. Any damages or necessary post-meeting cleaning of the space will be the financial responsibility of the organization using the facility and fees will be assessed accordingly. The Library reserves the right to require a security deposit before that user will be able to use the meeting room again.
14. Groups must conclude meetings and leave the meeting room at the end of the time for which the room was reserved so that the room can be prepared and open for other meetings.
15. The Library will not provide personnel, equipment, or supplies to groups using the meeting room.
16. The meeting room may be used at times when the Library itself is closed. Such arrangements must be made in advance. The meeting room key must be picked up during the Library’s normal operating hours and returned in the drop box after locking the building. Evening events should be planned to end by 10:00 PM and must comply with the Town’s ordinances, such as those for parking and alcoholic beverages.
17. The kitchenette may be used. Users must provide their own food, beverages, cups and other supplies. The kitchen and its equipment must be cleaned after use, and any unused food, supplies, and trash removed.
18. The meeting room will not be available on Holidays.
19. If the Library is forced to close as the result of storms or other extraordinary circumstances, the applicant will be notified, if possible, by the Library, but it is each organization’s responsibility to notify those who would be attending any meeting. The Library is not responsible for any costs incurred by any organization as a result of such closing.
20. The Library, its officers, and staff are not responsible for any articles left at the Library.
21. Any user that fails to comply with these regulations may be denied further use of the meeting room.
22. Although use of the Meeting Room is free, donations to the Library are always appreciated.
23. This policy may be amended by the Board of Trustees at any time.
24. Requests to use the meeting room in any manner other than outlined above must be made to the Board of Trustees and approved by the Board.
Adopted by the Trustees of the Sutton Free Library: June 4, 2013.